Thursday, September 23, 2010

Back-Blogging: The First Day of the Rest of My Life :)

I could barely sleep before my first day. I was excited, nervous, scared, thrilled, anxious, and nostalgic all at the same time. I had so many butterflies in my stomach! I remember the day going by in such a whirl, getting to meet all the kids again, teaching them my rule song, our schedule, and the basics of school. I felt like all we did was go to the bathroom all day! Really, we spent about 20 minutes using the bathroom every time we went. We read a story about a boy who wanted a lunch box to take to school just like his older sister. The time with my kids was great! I had 15 kids at the time, which was perfect.

The mess happened during dismissal. There one of my students, MI*, didn't make it to her bus room because of a miscommunication between her, my aide, and myself. She said she was getting picked up, so my aide waited with the pick-up kids, while I took the rest of the kids to their bus rooms. MI's brother's bus teacher said he was was looking for her, and I said she said mom was picking her up. My aide told me everyone was gone, so I assumed she was picked up. Few minutes later I find out it was just that MI was taken to the gym where the kids go to wait, she wasn't actually picked up. By then, the bus had already left.  I was so mad. To make me feel even worse, I had another staff member say to me, "Who is the certificated person in the room? So it falls on you." I called home and a cousin answered. She said she was coming. About an hour later, cousin shows up, so I leave. 15 minutes later, I get a call from Mr. Blanton saying that her mom is at school, looking for her! I told him she was already picked up.

That night I was SOOO worried, I couldn't sleep again, but for much different reasons than the night before. I thought I was going to be in so much trouble, but things were fine. I've never had bus/transportation problems since :)

*I will be coding my kid's names to protect their privacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment