Monday, September 20, 2010

Back-Blogging: First Two Weeks of Professional Development (PD)

I guess I should catch-up to now, the 6th week of school. Where has time gone? I can't believe I've been teaching for that long already! But I'm getting ahead of myself, lets rewind...

Before school started, I had two weeks of Professional Development (PD). One week was for new teachers, and one week was for all teachers, and was building/content. Apparently, this new teacher training was a new thing! I can't believe that last year, I would have just been asked to jump into the classroom with no new-teacher specific training. Anyway, I went for three days to 801 (which is what our Central Office is referred to as) and listened to some useful, and of course, some useless information. Most of it was good, but for a lot of it I heard, "This doesn't apply to you because you are preschool."

That Friday, I met up with Ms. Joyce Stevenson, the other regular ed preschool teacher/my mentor at Mullanphy. Let me just say that the is awesome. The first thing she asked me was, "What are you most anxious about?" My answer was setting up the classroom, so we went to work right away on it. It wasn't very useful because they moved all the furniture out that afternoon to wax our floors, but that's not the point. The point is my mentor is great! She is always helping me out!

The following week started PD for all the teachers. I hadn't realized how many teachers are still at Mullanphy from when I went. Nurse Utley is still there, which is great because she is the best school nurse someone could ever ask for, along with about 6 other teachers. I'm the only new teacher in the building, so I'm the baby :) Everyone was super nice and excited that I came back to Mullanphy. The first day in the building was fine. The next day we started PreK specific PD at another school with all the other PreK teachers. I saw Jane O'Donnell (another awesome PreK teacher and robotics parent whose kids followed the same Mullanphy->Compton-Drew->Gateway High track I did). Of course all the other teachers were complaining, but I was the bright-eyed first year who was excited to get her career started!

That Thursday we had Open House with parents - my first opportunity to meet my kiddos! I was so excited and nervous! I had a newsletter and information sheet for them to fill out. It went well. I met about 8 kids. Friday was another building PD. Time to wrap up my room! Finish up! Get ready for Monday! First day of school coming up...

No comments:

Post a Comment